The Dresden Plates are four of twelve that have been in progress for quite some time. Number five has been started. We had a short power outage this afternoon and since the sky was very overcast at that time I sat on the front porch and whipstitched a couple of the plates together. They still have the paper inside the petals and I plan to leave the paper in until I have them all put together and are ready to applique to a block.
I enjoy the hand work on these but seldom give myself time to sit and do handwork. This is one project on my "to do" list for this summer while we are camping. The petals are so fun to do and they can be done as I did them sitting in the campground yaking with folks. I purchased my petals from Paper Pieces@ paperpieces.com. There are two schools of thought in preparing the fabric to use on the paper pieces: to cut out exactly 1/4 inch around your shape or the method I prefer. I used pre-cut squares, angled the petal across the square, wacked off the biggest part of the excess across two corners and started folding and doing a long running stitch around the petal. If you end up with way too much fabric on the underneath side you can trim it when you are finished. And either style is good! You end up with perfectly formed petals which are then whipstitched into the plate.
Below was my project after the power was restored! Which I wish to thank the City of Scottsburg Electric Department! They are always on top of the few issues we have with service and are just a great group. Thanks to all.
PATTERN BY KIM SCHAEFER
This evening I had a project on the embrodiery machine that said 85 minutes to sew and only three thread changes.....so this is what I put together mostly while the embroidery machine was working away. This part actually took longer than the 85 minutes.
I already had the "applique" pieces fused to fabric and they just needed to be cut out and ironed to the background which I had pieced this evening. I will quilt this one sometime on my machines. I'll likely to a blanket stitch or zigzag stitch around the elements to make them pop a bit more.
I am so enjoying these Calendar quilts. I still have July's to bind and add the hanging sleeve but I hope to get that done tomorrow along with a couple other things.